作者:小雅和英美朋友
汤圆、元宵、粽子都叫sticky rice dumpling,怎么区分?
煮汤圆剩下的汤叫索普吗?
如何用英语告诉宝宝元宵节和汤圆的区别?
这篇文章的视频版可以进入小儿的抖音(抖音)号码:北京大学双语妈妈小儿可以看到。
Eating Tang Yuan 吃汤圆
Mom: Today is Lantern Festival.
妈妈:今天是元宵节。
We'll eat some Tang Yuan.
咱们吃点汤圆。
汤圆和元宵也可以叫sticky rice dumpling,但这个英文也可以表示粽子和其他糯米点心。用汉语拼音作为这些传统食品的英文更准确,随着中国文化越来越多地被世界了解,这也成为一种趋势。
Do you want to help boil them?
你想帮忙煮吗?
Let's get the pot out.
咱们把锅拿出来。
Child: I'll fill it with water.
宝宝:我来倒水。
Mom: Very good.
妈妈:非常好。
I'll turn the heat on.
我来开火。
We'll bring the water to a boil
咱们把水烧开,
and then add the Tang Yuan.
然后下汤圆。
☀ 5 minutes pass 五分钟过去
Mom: Time to add the Tang Yuan.
妈妈:该下汤圆了。
I'll do it with you.
我和你一起下。
Do it slowly
慢慢地,
so it doesn't splash us with hot water.
这样开水才不会溅到我们。
☀ 5 minutes pass 五分钟过去
Mom: Looks like they are ready.
妈妈:看起来好了。
They're floating on top like little fat piggies.
它们漂在上面像小胖猪一样了。
☀ 3 minutes pass 三分钟过去
Mom: Let's scoop them out with the slotted spoon.
妈妈:咱们用漏勺把它们捞出来吧。
Put them in a bowl
把它们放到碗里,
and let them cool.
凉一会儿。
☀ 3 minutes pass 三分钟过去
Child: I bet they are cool enough now.
宝宝:现在应该凉得差不多了。
Mom: Yes, but the filling is still hot.
妈妈:嗯,但是馅儿还是很烫的。
If you bite into it too soon,
你咬得太快,
you could burn your tongue!
会烫到你的舌头的!
So after you bite it open,
所以你把它咬开以后,
blow on it a little
吹一吹,
and then eat it.
然后再吃。
Child: Oh, I will.
宝宝:哦,好的。
Mmmm … so good!
嗯……真好吃!
What flavor is it?
这个是什么口味的?
Mom: Let me see.
妈妈:我看看。
Yours is filled with black sesame.
你的是黑芝麻馅的。
We bought a lot of flavors.
咱们买了好多种口味的。
Black sesame and red bean paste are traditional flavors.
黑芝麻和豆沙是传统口味。
We also have some creative flavors - chocolate, taro, custard.
咱们还有一些创新口味的:巧克力、香芋、奶黄。
Child: What kind of flour are Tang Yuan made of?
宝宝:汤圆是用什么面做的啊?
They are sticking to my teeth.
它们有点粘牙。
Mom: They are made of glutinous rice, or sticky rice, flour.
妈妈:它们是用糯米面,或者叫江米面做的。
如同中文有糯米和江米两种叫法,英文也有glutinous rice和sticky rice两种说法。
So, as you can tell by its name, it's sticky.
所以顾名思义,它很粘。
Child: What's the difference between Tang Yuan and Yuan Xiao?
宝宝:汤圆和元宵有什么区别啊?
Mom: Yuan Xiao has a solid filling
妈妈:元宵的馅比较硬,
and is made by rolling it in flour,
它是在面粉里摇,
and then dipping it in water
然后沾水,
and repeating the steps.
然后重复以上步骤做出来的。
And for Tang yuan, you wrap the filling with the dough.
汤圆是用面把馅包起来的。
Child: Why do we eat them on the Lantern Festival?
宝宝:我们为什么在元宵节吃它们啊?
Mom: Because they are round which symbolizes unity in the family.
妈妈:因为它们是圆的,象征着合家团圆。
Child: Happy Lantern Festival, Mommy and Daddy!
宝宝:元宵节快乐,爸爸妈妈!
Mom: Happy Lantern Festival!
妈妈:元宵节快乐!
Child: I'm so full.
宝宝:我好饱啊。
Mom: You know, the leftover water is pretty tasty to drink
妈妈:对了,剩下的汤也挺好喝的,
煮东西剩下的汤不叫soup,而叫leftover water。
It has a little sweetness and the intermingling tastes of the sesame, rice, and bean paste.
有一点甜味,还混合着芝麻、米和豆沙的味道。
Here, try some.
来,尝尝。
Child: Not bad!
宝宝:不错!
Mom: I can't believe the Chinese New Year is almost over.
妈妈:真不敢相信春节这么快就要过去了。
It went by so quickly!
过得太快了!
Child: Yeah, school is going to start for me.
宝宝:是呀,我快开学了。
更多中国传统食品相关亲子英文,请查看:
用英文教宝宝“包饺子”,春节亲子英语必备
端午节吃粽子和宝宝说英文,红枣鲜肉粘米、甜口咸口怎么说?